Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Divorce Disaster

OK so I have this rare gift that allows me to have complete strangers open up to me and tell me their entire life stories sparing no intimate details, it's very very strange but at the same time it's kinda nice to know that I come off as a trustworthy, sympathetic listener who really cares about your drama. I'm only teasing I really do care about people to much some times and I get yelled at at work all the time because of this, It's not my fault.

So here is a replay of one of those moments but I didn't realize what was happening until today.



Hubbies friend whom I don't know: "Hey how is your husband, I didn't see him is he here?"



Totally Oblivious Me: "yeah he's over there with the ladies--aka my three girls plus our adopted neighbor girl



Hubbies Friend: I'm here with my kids. . .it's really hard to watch them all without my wife.



Me: small talk about the kids.......... and then I made the stupid comment about how moms have to handles kids all day alone bla bla and then I asked if he wanted a medal (OK I'm not sure of my exact words but it was something like that, maybe it wasn't that harsh but it feels like it was)



Hubbies Friend: Must have gotten something in his eye......Awkward so I smile and leave.



So the details are a little fuzzy but I just found out the poor guys getting a divorce and that was one of those moments where he was trying to pour out his heart and soul to me, hoping for sympathy, but I totally missed it. I thought his wife was just gone for the day and I didn't think that he was that impressive because Tim takes care of the kids all the time, he could have been a little more specific and I guess he really didn't get something in his eye, pour guy was probably holding back the tears because I'm such a jerk. I feel really bad, I just don't ever think people get divorce--Tim says I live in my own little fantasy world.

Now that I found out he's getting divorced everything makes total sense, because I saw him about two months prior and he was so sad and literally was sucking the life out of everything like a black hole--another thing that comes with the gift I guess, is that I can sense other peoples emotions, I cry when they cry, I hurt when they do, etc. When I asked Tim if his friend was OK he said he was fine and then I said he seems like he's having marital problems.

Of course when I told Tim the news the other day he lovingly seized the opportunity to tease me and said that I called it and said that I have another gift of breaking marriages apart--not nice and below the belt punk.

He said it kinda makes sense because every time he sees the guy his arms get a little bigger each time like he's trying to look good for the ladies--ha ha the difference between men and women perception-- I worried about how he feels and all Tim notices is that he's working out.

I guess I've learned my lesson, but A few weeks ago we went to my Grandma's house to check on her and Kiora went off on her billion questions asking her if she was ever married and where her husband was and asked her if she's lonely..... I was mortified and it became bedtime very quickly. I explained to her on the drive home that she had gotten a divorce and it kinda makes her sad when people ask her about it and say she must be lonely. UGGH and from that day she has been freaking out about divorce. It terrifies her and she keeps asking us if we'll ever get divorced and she can't stop worrying--poor child.

What happened to the good old days when kids only had to worry about getting caught playing all night or not brushing their teeth.

My heart goes out to all those heartbroken divorcees and the poor little children who's world is forever turned upside down.

No comments: