Saturday, December 4, 2010

Something In The Turkey

Our Thanksgiving was delicious, so good in fact it put me into labor--yep we had our own little turkey Saturday afternoon at 1:29 pm. I went to the doctor on Wednesday and told her I was chickening out of the whole c-section idea and that if I went into labor before Dec 2, I wanted to try to have the baby without surgery. I was feeling some contractions on and off for several weeks, but Saturday around midnight they became very intense and were coming every two minutes.

I didn't want to wake up my husband so I took a bath and tried to deal with the pain as long as possible, and by 4 I was more than ready to go to the hospital. We arrived at the hospital around 5 a.m., and I was checked and an IV was put in and the nurse called my Doctor. After the Nurse left Tim looked at me said kinda puzzled "umm so I guess we are staying" awe I love this guy. The first thing I asked for of course was if they had wi-fi, then for an epidural lol.

We hadn't really picked out a name yet so we spent a few hours going over names. I actually knew my nurse so I was excited and of course got spoiled. I worked with her in the hospital on Med-surg before I moved to Phoenix. Dr. R came in a few times and we went over my previous labors of 36 hours, and all my complications, and we talked about having a low threshold for a C-section, and then she had to go check on a few other patients--there must have been something in the turkey because the hospital was over flowing with women in labor, and they didn't have enough rooms for everyone, but I luckily got the last recovery room.

My parents came in to talk to me and to get my poor starving husband some food. I felt a lot of pressure and had the nurse call my doctor, and she came in just in time for me to push. Three contractions and our handsome little man was here 6 lbs 11 oz --13 hours of labor, record time for me, and absolutely no complications.





My recovery was not so great. . . The next day I was able to take my little man home. Tim told me he felt like he was busting me out of prison because usually I'm in the hospital for at least 4 or 5 days--I think part of the reason I was able to go home so soon was because they needed the room.
We had named him Darius Vaughn--I was on drugs when I chose that name and after getting to know our little man I knew he was a Benjamin, and he's just perfect!!!!!

No comments: